Be Dog Smart!
We want to raise awareness of general dog safety messages and in particular highlight some key messages including…
- The best prevention is supervision – never leave your child alone with a dog – any dog
10 easy tips to remind kids how to stay safe around dogs:
- Beware of disturbing dogs that are eating or sleeping.
- Even if for fun, don’t ever tease a dog please.
- Don’t approach a dog with no owner around.
- Only stroke a dog when the owner says ‘Yes, you can.’
- Get the dog to sniff your hand first, then stroke gently.
- Stange dog approaching? Stand still, look away, cross your arms.
- Move calmly and quietly around any dog.
- All that hugging and kissing – you might like it, not all dogs do.
- Remember all dogs have teeth.
- Treat dogs with kindness and respect
The Dogs Trust have some great videos on how to be Dog Smart when you are out and about and at home. You can view these on their website by clicking here