Alert: Cough Syrup
Some batches of the following cough syrups have been recalled by the manufacturer as there has been some reports of mould. As the mould is not always visible, you are advised to return any of these batches you may have to the place where you bought it.
- Asda Children’s Dry Cough Syrup Glycerol Blackcurrant Flavour – batch 274V1, 276V1, 278V1, 283W1 – expiry dates 01/08/2020, 01/10/2020, 01/12/2020, 01/02/2021
- Bell’s Healthcare Children’s Dry Cough Glycerin 0.75g/5ml Syrup – 280V3 – exp 01/12/2020
- Morrisons Children’s Dry Tickly Cough Glycerin 0.75g/5ml Oral Solution – 282W1- exp 01/01/2021
- Numark Children’s Dry Cough 0.75 g/5 ml Oral Solution – 280V1, 288W1- exp 01/12/2020, 01/04/2021
- Sainsbury’s Children’s Dry Cough 0.75g/5ml Syrup – 275V1 – exp 01/09/2020
- Superdrug Children’s Dry Tickly Cough Glycerin 0.75 g/5 ml Oral Solution – 280V2, 284W1- exp 01/12/2020, 01/03/2021
- Tesco Children’s Dry Cough Syrup – 277V1, 278V2, 281W1 – exp 01/10/2020, 01/12/2020, 01/01/2021
- Wilko Tickly Cough 0.75g/5ml Oral Solution – 275V2 – exp 01/0
Alert – Accu-Chek Aviva , Accu-Chek Performa test strips, and Accu-Chek Performa strips that have been included in Accu-Chek Performa Nano meter kits.
One of these test strip batches potentially show an increase in strip errors prior to dosing. Due to the designed fail-safe in the blood glucose meter, the issue can be identified by an error message displayed on the meter upon strip insertion or through the device not recognising the test strip. However, in a very limited number of cases the test strip can produce a biased result i.e. a falsely too high or too low value, which you might not be able to detect easily and which could lead to incorrect therapy adaptations.
The lot numbers are as follows:
ACCU-CHEK AVIVA STRIPS (50s)
ACCU-CHEK AVIVA STRIPS (10s)
ACCU-CHEK PERFORMA STRIPS (10s)
Accu-Chek Performa Nano mmol Kit. [Please note that the lot number only applies to the pack of Performa 10 test strips contained within the kit]
We believe that none of the nano-meter kits the surgery have provided patients contains this lot but we advise all patients on these strips to check the lot number on strips they are using or have in reserve. If you are unable to do this, contact your pharmacist who will assist you. We understand no other lots are affected.
Alert – Diabetic Patients
Can we remind our diabetic patients:
- To use devices that have been recommended or prescribed for them by their diabetes specialist or agreed with the Practice
- Not to stop or change their prescribed insulin management regimen without seeking the advice of their diabetes specialist
- To contact their diabetes specialist or the Practice if they are invited by a manufacturer to trial a new device e.g. via social media.
Alert – Homeopathic Teething Products in Infants and Children
Can we advise parents of infants and young children not to use unlicensed homeopathic teething tablets of gels which are available on line due to the risk of side effects. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating homeopathic teething tablets and gels which cause serious side effects. These products are not licensed for use in the UK and are not known to be on sale in UK shops but are available on line.